In January 2021 free movement rights will end and the immigration system will be updated.According to the Policy Statement issued in February 2020, the following changes will be made in relation to sponsored employment:
- there will be no cap on the number of people who can come to the UK for sponsored employment;
- there will be no resident labour market test;
- the minimum level of pay will go down from £30,000 to £25,600 or to £20,480 for jobs in the shortage occupation list;
- the level of skill required for sponsored employment will be lowered to RQF level 3, as compared to the current RQF level 6.
How the new points-based system will work at the Tier 2 levelThe new system will introduce a combination of the so-called tradeable and non-tradeable points, to justify it being a points-based system. Non-tradeable points will be the mandatory requirements mirroring those currently in place. These will include:
- Offer of employment from an approved sponsor;
- Job requiring an appropriate level of skill, at least RQF level 3;
- Knowledge of English at the required level.