UK Immigration & Nationality Lawyers

Tier 4 (Child) Student

Tier 4 (Child) Student

Tier 4 (Child) student visa is for children between four and 17 years of age who come to the UK to study at an independent fee-paying school.

Tier 4 (Child) student can come to the UK up to one month before the start date of the course.

The visa would normally be granted for the duration of the course.  There is no time limit on how long a child can study in the UK from the age of four to the age of eighteen.

For the parents who send their children to British private schools it may be worth noting that after 10 years of continuous residence in the UK the child may qualify for indefinite leave to remain.

A Tier 4 (Child) student visa may be extended without the child leaving the country if the existing visa runs out less than one calendar month before the start date of the new course.  If the start date of the new course is more than one month after the expiry of the existing visa, the child has to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance from the country of residence.

Financial requirements

Tier 4(Child) Student has to demonstrate that funds are available to cover the full fee of the course or that the course fees have been paid.

It is also required to demonstrate that adequate funds are available for the child’s accommodation.

The amounts depend on the possible care arrangements for the child.

Care arrangements

Boarding schools

Boarding school fees will include accommodation and maintenance fees. There is no requirement to demonstrate any additional finance.

Foster carers and UK-based relatives other than parents

If the child is to be placed with a UK resident carer, the intended carer should have at least £570 per month to look after and accommodate the child for the duration of the course to a maximum of nine months.

One parent or a legal guardian may accompany a child under the age of 12 to the UK. They need to demonstrate £1560 for each month of the duration of the course for a maximum of nine months, plus any outstanding school fees.  Each additional child in the care of the same parent should demonstrate the availability of additional £625 per month for living costs.

Child students of 16 or 17 years of age living independently need £1265 per month if they are studying in Central London, or £1015 per month elsewhere.

The rules around child student visa may be quite complex and it is important that all extension applications are made in a timely fashion.

2020 Kadmos Consultants / Sitemap / Privacy / Disclaimer / Terms Of Use

Copyright Kadmos Consultants

Speak to a UK Immigration Lawyer! Call +44 (0) 208 930 9503 or send us a message
Complete the form and one of our UK immigration lawyers will be in touch.