Tier 1 visa was initially intended for highly skilled migrants. It was introduced under the Points Based System as a replacement to what was previously known as Highly Skilled Migrant programme.
Tier 1 was also extended to high net worth individuals, so as to attract businessmen and investors in the UK.
At present, Tier 1 visa incorporates the following immigration categories:
- Tier 1 General – now closed to new entrants – the route that was offered to highly skilled foreign migrants at the time when they were welcome in the UK;
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur – for businessmen wishing to set up or take over a business in the UK and invest the requisite amount of capital into that business;
- Tier 1 Investor – the route for high net worth individuals prepared to invest at least £2,000,000 into the British economy;
- Tier 1 Exceptional talent
- Tier 1 Post Study Work – this route was closed to new entrants in April 2012 and is coming to extinction in 2014 when the two-year leave granted to the last applicants in 2012 expires. Tier 1 PSW migrants enjoy certain concessions when applying for switching into other categories, such as Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Tier 2 General.
For help with any type of Tier 1 visa please get in touch