UK Immigration & Nationality Lawyers

Ancestry visa

Ancestry visa

UK ancestry visa – who is it for?

UK ancestry visa is granted to citizens of Commonwealth countries who have a grandparent born in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and who wish to come to the UK to work.

Applicants may be 17 years of age and over.

Where to apply?

Initial application for ancestry visa has to be made from abroad, either from the country of origin or another country of residence. Switching into this category from within the UK is not allowed.

General requirements

Applicants need to demonstrate that they are able to work and intend to take or seek employment.  They may bring with them their dependants (spouse or unmarried partner and children under the age of 18 as of the date of application).  Dependants of ancestry visa holders are allowed to work in the UK.

Applicants for an ancestry visa should have sufficient funds to support themselves and any dependants without recourse to public funds. There is no specific requirement for the amount of funds they should hold, but savings should be sufficient to cover accommodation and living expenses of the main applicant and dependants for a reasonable time until income is received from employment in the UK.

Period of grant

UK ancestry visa is normally granted for a period of five years.

Eligibility for indefinite leave to remain

Settlement is allowed after five years of continuous residence in this category. Continuous employment throughout the five year period is not mandatory, but intention to work has to be demonstrated through the entire period.

Dependent spouse or unmarried partner who had made their initial application for entry clearance or leave to remain before 9 July 2012 may apply for settlement at the same time as the main applicant, provided they have lived together in the UK for not less than two years. Those who do not meet the requirements of these transitional arrangements qualify to apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years of residence.

Our immigration lawyers assist with applications for entry clearance and applications for extension of stay and indefinite leave to remain, and offer advice and guidance on supporting documents and legal requirements.

2020 Kadmos Consultants / Sitemap / Privacy / Disclaimer / Terms Of Use

Copyright Kadmos Consultants

Speak to a UK Immigration Lawyer! Call +44 (0) 208 930 9503 or send us a message
Complete the form and one of our UK immigration lawyers will be in touch.