Tier 1 visa was initially intended for highly skilled migrants. It was introduced under the Points Based System as a replacement to what was previously known as Highly Skilled Migrant programme.
Tier 1 was also extended to high net worth individuals, so as to attract businessmen and investors in the UK.
At present, Tier 1 visa incorporates the following immigration categories:
- Tier 1 General – now closed to new entrants – the route that was offered to highly skilled foreign migrants at the time when they were welcome in the UK;
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur – for businessmen wishing to set up or take over a business in the UK and invest the requisite amount of capital into that business;
- Tier 1 Investor – the route for high net worth individuals prepared to invest at least £2,000,000 into the British economy;
- Tier 1 Exceptional talent
- Tier 1 Post Study Work – this route was closed to new entrants in April 2012 and is coming to extinction in 2014 when the two year leave granted to the last applicants in 2012 expires. Tier 1 PSW migrants enjoy certain concessions when applying for switching into other categories, such as Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Tier 2 General.
For help with any type of Tier 1 visa please get in touch